Ransom Family

Random Ramblings and Happenings

The Great Bus Adventure 2010

on July 14, 2010

We don’t ride the bus very often. The last time was when my brother’s youngest baby was born a few years ago. It takes a long time to get anywhere and it’s confusing to me every time we go. I have to call the bus place’s number to figure out what times and which number bus to get on when we switch and it’s annoying, but we try it out every once in a while because the kids like it. It’s much easier to just hop in the van to go anywhere we want.
This summer the library had a deal in the summer reading program where kids can ride free from home to the library. It cost me $1.25, but I got a transfer pass that was good for two hours when I got on the first bus. Olivia and Vincent were free because they are less than 5 years old.So, at 11:20 this morning we walked down the block and around the corner to where the stop is and waited for the bus to come. The sprinklers were on at the school leaving puddles in the road. Vincent stepped in one.
The kids waiting at the bus stop for our bus.Sidenote: How come city governments always have their sprinklers on during the day (parks, schools, fairgrounds) when they send letters in our utility bills every month that you should water at night or early morning because then the water isn’t wasted? I’m not that green about stuff, but really? It just doesn’t make sense.
Playing in the water and trying not to get hit with the sprinkler watering the road.The bus came and we all got on. Elizabeth liked showing her library paper with the bus pass to each driver.
Olivia and Elizabeth on the second bus at the big bus station. It took us about 20 minutes to get to the library (normal time is 5 minutes, so not too bad). We spent 30 minutes in the library and left just as the bus was about to be at the stop. Good unplanned timing since the buses only stop there about once an hour. Vincent loves that hat. He turned it around when he saw that I wanted to take his picture.
We left the library on the second bus route that wraps around Richland again, but the library is the first stop because the bus station is just a few blocks away (we could have walked, but the kids wanted to ride longer). It took us 20 minutes and then dropped us off at the bus station where we had to wait another half hour for our bus to go home.
Here are the kids waiting at the bus station for our last bus to take us home.
My mom called my cell phone (I got one for my birthday, but it’s mostly for emergencies or really short calls) and asked where I was. I talked to her yesterday and she said she was coming to our town today, but I forgot, so she was on our front porch at our house with our van in the driveway trying to figure out where we were. She let herself in and dropped off what she was bringing me (coupons and old jeans to make into quilts) and then came over to the bus station to say hi to us. Lucky for us we had plenty of books to look at to keep us busy while we waited. We visited for ten minutes or less and then our bus came. It took another ten minutes to get home.
It took us an hour and 45 minutes to go to the library for 30 minutes (the 30 minutes is included in the hour and 45 minutes), but the kids enjoyed the adventure and I like taking pictures of the adventure, so all is well.Does anyone else have a two and a half year old with this much hair on their legs? I don’t even think Elizabeth’s leg hair is that long! What a hairy kid! He has little owies on his legs from scratching his dry legs. Oh, and yesterday I went to Albertson’s to use the doubler coupons that came in the mail on Sunday. My friend offered to watch my kids while I went, so it was pretty fast.
I spent $1.49 at Albertson’s for all of this. I love having good coupons and doublers.
I don’t even do the things on the coupon blogs I look at that much. Here is what I do. I cut out my coupons, get them in the mail, or print them out and then when the doublers come, I go through my stack of the ones that are about to expire and pull out the things that look good and have close to a dollar off (because doublers work for up to a dollar off and I want to get the most I can). I put those in an envelope and then wander around the store looking for the items that cost the least (or less than a dollar or just a really good deal). These are really just extra things that we can eat for fun to try out new products. I used my one strip of three doublers and two more coupons for $2 each. $1 for the wipes with $2 off coupon, free Yakisoba noodles ($1 off coupon doubled), free Dryers ice cream (they were $1 each and I had a $2 off of 2 coupon that worked on the tiny cups), Minute Rice was $2.39 and I had a $1 off coupon and doubler, so it cost $.39, and the Uncle Ben’s was on clearance for $1.59 and I had a $.75 coupon and doubler, so it cost me .09 cents.
Most of the time when I go to Albertsons with doublers, I still end up spending 15 bucks, so this one was great! The Minute Rice made a print out coupon for $1 off another one, so I’ll have to use that with the next doublers.
If you are confused about coupons, go to fistfulofcoupons.com. She is a lady from Kennewick and is awesome at showing you just what to do on her blog and she also teaches classes to groups in Tri-Cities.

One response to “The Great Bus Adventure 2010

  1. shaunie says:

    I have always wondered about the city watering schedule as well. In UT they did the day-time watering thing, whereas her in water-starved CA, you never see it. My kids loved riding the bus with my husband to BYU.

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: